Time Flies But Memories Remain...

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Paula
Peach Cobbler

Time Flies But Memories Remain...

Hey all! So today I thought that it'd be interesting to look at some of my old posts. I have no idea why I thought to do that, and I'm not sure why exactly I thought that it would be a good idea, but needless to say: I did it. My first post was quite the post. It expressed some sort of confusion about "everything" on the SS, and "how confusing it was." *takes a moment* I'm sure a few of you remember it, and I shake my head at that post *facepalms* Anyway! Moving on...I know that a few of you active users have been here for a while, and I thought that it would be great to have a topic where you can reminiscence about all of your funny/sad/embarrassing memories that have taken place on the SS in the past years. You can re-quote old users here or just share your favorite memory that you've had on the SS, whatever you wish to bring to the present will suffice *nods* I know that three years may not seem that long of a time, but if you take some time to go back and read some of the earlier posts, it really feels like a totally different place than what it is today. I, for one enjoy reading old posts on the SS and the ToO, and I'm fascinated with the stories and lives that have taken place on both of the forms, so to end this boring introduction...Let us make history by sharing the past!

*starts it off*

As I was browsing through my old posts, I came across a post that was made in the "Dancing" debate thread, and I decided to read all of the posts in that thread again, and I came across two quotes that had me laughing hard. So for your entertainment tonight I will re-quote them...
John Henry wrote:Ballet, Modern, and Belly tend to expose the body...
SirWhit wrote:So does walking outside with clothes on.
I don't know why I laughed so hard at this, but the mix of Sir Whit's sarcasm with JH's sincerity is soooooo priceless ^_^
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
"update your signature, Paperclip's term ended ages ago" -Swah
Happy now?
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

TS wrote:I just got a new laptop battery. Two of the more interesting instructions were:

Do not expose to fire.

Do not ship or store near radioactive fields.

Me: Well, I guess that rules out keeping it next to the nuclear plant in the basement...
This is still funny like months later.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Nice topic, Paula, and lovely opener.

One of my favorite posts is still a post from TS about Valerie. My first brush with him was about Val, and his post is... well, not small.
On technicality, a couple of your points could be correct. However, it is an entirely differing matter in a continuing story, which is, essentially, what AiO is. A nice, smooth flow, without sudden bumps or turns, is perfect to convey a point. Valerie does not provide this. Did you see my list? I have four major points, not including the clubhouse magazine articles. Four personalities is too many, especially when thy clash, and are presented without explanation. In regard to your question about my meaning with 'evil mastermind', Sink a Sub is not what I am referring to. I am mainly pointing to Valerie's role in Kidsboro, when she plotted an essential government takeover, using her knowledge of blackmail and enlightened persuasion. As for 'gratuitous', it's very definition is 'without justification'. I am attempting to explain that we are given no justification for Valerie's ill-doing. We have no background on her life, and no reason for her motivation. A mystery is never solved until we know why the criminal did what they did. We have no clue as to Valerie's motivation. Thus, we have no justification for her actions, or for Valerie as a character. I fail to see how my statement is contradictory.

Did you mean 'protagonist'? Valerie would Be the antagonist. Finally, you seem to be mixing real life and AiO. Adventures in Odyssey has always strived to include doses of the real world, without conforming to it. I am not condemning any real-life Valerie's, I am making an observation that she is too loud and obnoxious to let someone else convey a point. Also, keep in mind that I never said Valerie should be definitely removed; I said that she needs repair work, or she will continue to bring the show downhill. I honestly wouldn't mind keeping her, just so long as we are given justification for her actions. To help you see this, I have included some of the past posts on this topic.

My opinion is that they should tweak her voice, give us some background and her motivation for wrong-doing, and make her a little more human and realistic. Then she might not be such a pointless character. Other than that AiO does a great job. They could use some re-tuning here and there, but other than that, they do some amazing work.

As for the next dilemma, I have a Bible verse to share.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
- Philippians 4:8

My simple question is: Does Valerie help us to do this?

On a slightly more positive note, I would not have full justification for these arguments if I did not suggest a solution. I feel that there are a few courses of action that can be used to mend the wake of destruction left by Valerie.

1) Dump her character and instead use a wider selection of the kids at their school. For example, one person causes a problem, we learn just a little of their story, and then they hand the spotlight to a main character. However, a wider variety of 'bullies' could result in disorientation.

2) Complete Valerie's character. Finish the baking process. Give us some background, some reason for her motivation, and some of the consequences of her choices. Let us know why she acts the way she does, and wrap up the ending so we are left with a feeling of completion and satisfaction. In all, help her to give up the spotlight for the main character.

3) Fill in her role with Vance or possibly Jay. Let Vance take over the 'school troublemaker' role again. However, he would not interact with the girls as well, so there would still be a gap. The combination of Jay and Olivia could be used more at school.

4) Replace Valerie with another girl. This would be the most complicated solution. Maybe instead of using a pointless person, they could introduce a mellower girl who causes trouble occasionally, but without such a strong personality.

5) Do nothing about her. This would eventually lead to Valerie
a) Taking over the school (just kidding, she may get expelled)
b) Fizzling out
c) continuing to randomly cause trouble
Any one of these would be a source of confusion and distraction, and will only go downhill from there.

Over all, I feel that Valerie is a dark splotch on an otherwise clean board, but I still feel that she is not beyond resurrection. There is still hope, provided that there is change, SOON![/quote]

It is nice to meet you. I look forward to future conversations.

P.S. what were your other points? Would you like to discuss them?
804 words, ladies and gentlemen. 804 words discussing a nasty tween in a kiddy show. I love this place.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I really ought to go look at some old posts... I wonder where I should look...
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Paula
Peach Cobbler

Thanks, PF ^_^

Just pick a thread and start reading from page 1...*fades into the wall*
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
"update your signature, Paperclip's term ended ages ago" -Swah
Happy now?
Rosy
Cookie Dough

Ohohoho, I posted so much embarrassing stuff on here. All those hurt and heal games, ban the previous poster (ugh, this one is the worst)
Rosy wrote:I ban the previous poster for thinking that was never gonna happen. Here I'll show it to you:
I love butterflies, I love ladybugs, they are really cute!
I love every bug besides spiders, beetles of any kind besides ladybugs, looking things, well basically, I love butterflies, ladybugs, and caterpillars that will turn into butterflies but not the ones that turn into moths because I don't like moths.
Oh, I love butterflies, I love ladybugs. Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Thank you, thank you. *curtsies*
There's also this gem from the early MLP days: *buries face in hands*
Rosy wrote:
fodo14 wrote:I have to say I will never like MLP Ever.....period, but I do LOVE cartoons. Like I said before my favs are Avatar the Last Airbender (Which isn't really a little kid show) and Gravity Fall is really awesome, Also Ben that Gif......WAS THE BEST GIF EVER ....WOOOHOOOOO DOWN WITH MY LITTLE PONY :twisted: :twisted:
Okay. :roll: You do that because: (To put in it the form of a song, just like Pinkie Pie would)
My Little Pony's not cool,
I don't care,
How much you hate Pinkie Pie's hair,
My Little Pony's not cool,
that's ok,
my God loves me, anyway!
That is a real song, if you're wondering, just not the My Little Pony part. But I still think it applies. ;)
Aaandd of course there's this little rant from when I quit the ERK in the beginning:
Rosy wrote:I am in total agreement with godsgirl. What started out as two simple clubs has turn into a war. Former friends on the SS have been downright RUDE to each other. Sorry all you other people out there who actually enjoy this, I think that the mods should eliminate all of the Emily clubs. I know I was a part of this at first, but, I'm sorry Pound Foolish and Suzy, I'm dropping out of the E.R.K. I know I'm your last member besides you two, but as my sister said I was so insulted by one of the comments on here it made me cry. That's not something I want to be a part of. I still think Emily rules, but these clubs have gone TOO FAR! You guys are acting like toddlers fighting over a favorite toy, and it's absolutely ridiculous!
I'm sure I could find many, many more posts like these. How did you guys put up with me? =P
I guess I should count myself lucky that we had the chat back then, so most of my embarrassing moments there can't be recounted.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Oooh, old memories.

Well, there's always this gem:
Pound Foolish wrote:I ban the previous poster for not wearing lederhosen. And, good grief, Suzy and Godsgirl, stop fighting over me! I'll stop this once and for all!
Okay, just WATCH how professional I can be, doubters!
Dear parents of Godsgirl
I do not know your daughter. I do not even know her name. Yet, how can I say it... I love her. I imagine her face every day. Her spirit and intelligence inspire me. How can I say this... I love her. I beg you to understand. I know I am asking an insurmountable request... I know... yet... Though I know I shall be turned down... I must ask.
I love her.
Will you allow us to love each other? Will you entrust me with your immeasurably valuable gem?
I say this with humility and full knowledge of my unworthiness. I know I dare much.
But as I say, as I cannot say often enough... I love her. I love her! I love her!
I would be gladdened for my whole life if you would grant me the honor... of telling her so. Every day of my life. From now on.

Because she's a gorgeous babe! (Leave out that part!) Okay, show THAT to your parents! THAT'S professional, they'll totally let me date you! We'll be married, and have fifty kids! No, wait... on second thoughts, don't show it to ANYBODY! ;)
disclaimer: I obviously didn't mean a single word I said in the supposed note to Godsigirl's parents
As far as my own posts, all I know is that I used to use a lot of exclamation points!! And smileys!! :) :) (My old posts on facebook are more proof of this..)

Let's see. Other memories would include the Hurt and Heal games..goodness. Does anyone else remember those? They got so out of hand, that the mods at the time (this was before I was even a mod!) made a post limit, and another member and I got in an argument over whether or not I went over the post count limit and thus negated winning a certain hurt and heal.. :x
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Emma
Peach Cobbler

Let me see...
Pretty much every post Helios ever made. *chuckles* That girl... I don't know how to respond to her.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Emma wrote:Let me see...
Pretty much every post Helios ever made. *chuckles* That girl... I don't know how to respond to her.
It takes a special skill, I assure you.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Emma
Peach Cobbler

Miss Friendship wrote:
Apparently she was born with it. ;) The skill to write awesome stories, and make people uncomfortable.... :P
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Miss Friendship wrote:
Not really. I can be as bad as her if I want to. :twisted:
Debate Vampire

Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Emma wrote:
Miss Friendship wrote:
Apparently she was born with it. ;) The skill to write awesome stories, and make people uncomfortable.... :P
Actually I meant, it takes a special skill to respond to her. Yes she was definitely born with it. :twisted:
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

Blitz
Moose Tracks

Well then I have a special skill. My those past long chats with Helios and Metal were interesting...
Debate Vampire

Gooey98
Raspberry Ripple

Ok, let's look at my early post not from THIS forum, but from the old TCF forum (at http://tcfp.forumotion.com) about:
I agree with the whole Good Guy thing. The phrase, "Things haven't changed", was one of those obvious clues that he knows a lot about how it was in the past. To me, it sounded like he worked for them a long, long time ago, and then rebelled. Whenever I listen to these episodes, I always think of The Agency as angels serving under Michael, the archangel, and Starcorp as demons, serving under the Devil.
Well. That was the weirdest thing I could find. Mostly because it doesn't really make sense.

*searches...searches...* I was too boring back then. Nothing embarrassing in here at all.

lol. I can't find any embarrassing posts. Or I'm too bored to look through all of them. Of course, I have way less posts than most of you. Now I'm talking like my 14-year-old self, because I've been reading my posts from when I was 14. This is what I used to talk like. haha. Weird.

Oh, haha, here's something funny. When Miss Friendship first joined the SS, I thought she was a troll account created by Audrey. haha. That's why this post (http://odysseyscoop.com/forum/viewtopic ... 189#p89189) doesn't make sense. Hahaha, sorry if I confused you, MF.
My David Crowder*Band website: http://dcbplus.weebly.com
My YouTube: http://youtube.com/WillLocatelli
My gaming YouTube: http://youtube.com/KingGrahamGaming
Wakko
Pistachio

I had forgotten that brief period when people thought that MF was a troll created by one of the members. xD
MnM
Raspberry Ripple

Wakko wrote:I had forgotten that brief period when people thought that MF was a troll created by one of the members. xD
What?! Why? :P By MF you mean Miss Friendship, right?
Mandy
Peach Cobbler

I definately have had some embarrassments on the SS... Like when I first started debating and got upset when I was too ignorant to respond logically to people. :oops: My skill must have improved somewhat over time though because Eleventh let me become a debate vampire... after I wasn't allowed to debate anymore. :x

And when I thought Clara was a boy because of something she said during the long hair on girls/short hair on boys debate... :oops: I was embarrassed to death then but now I only laugh about it. :lol:

~Lady Mandy Knight of the
Order of Chrysostom in the
Court of the Debate Vampires~

MF: How much do you know about Helios?

Woody: Let's see. I know you survived her
drama, I know she's a danger to
society, I know she's a lie, I know
Belle is unfazed by her wrath, I
know she has ox horns, and I know
I should beware of her.

(And she is also my enemy. :evil: )
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Wakko wrote:I had forgotten that brief period when people thought that MF was a troll created by one of the members. xD
When was this? O.o And why haven't I heard about it? :x Who was thought to have created me? 0_o

Blitz
Moose Tracks

John Henry. Now he was one character. Entertaining to debate sometimes.
Debate Vampire

TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Haha, I was about to go find some old threads of his. Those were some truly fascinating discussions.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love