What is anime?

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Smile Awhile
Cookies & Creme

What is anime?

Seriously, I would like to know. Is it just cartoons from Japan, or is there more qualifications to it? Why is it so popular? :?
What do you want here? You can move along to the next post now; nothing fun here in my signature.
Tsukuyomi
Cookies & Creme

That's a question I didn't expect seeing posted in this day and age, but I'm very glad you asked it indeed.

Just let me take care of something first, restrains Helios :mrgreen:

Basically, anime is an unrestricted type of cartoon, meaning that there isn't really anything in place preventing them from being too explicit or too violent... but don't despair! The cases in which that becomes a problem are few and far between. Just stay away from Desert Punk, I implore you. Besides, the vast majority of them would rather tell a good story instead (and they do).

They are also heavily plot-driven, and tend to use their times really well, so there's little-to-no-filler and usually the week or so that stands between episodes would leave you with something worth your while. Cliffhangers? You bet, but the good quality ones... they WILL get resolved right away, since time isn't on their side (your common anime lasts 25 episodes at best, unless proven extremely popular).

And the art style is made with extreme attention to detail, so these are very good-looking indeed (although, personally, I get a bit sick of seeing everything with 300 different shadows).

All in all, these are great animated works. And if I could recommend something to start with, that would be Boku Hero Academia / My Hero Academia, which is not only great but pretty much exemplifies how to make good use of songs during the most epic moments.
~Two of your five a day~.
shnoodlec.
Fudge Marble

There's an 80% chance this thread is a joke, especially because you have a Case Closed avatar, but...

As far as I know, it's generally considered to be just Japanese animation. Think Pokemon, etc. There's no stylistic qualifications (art style, 2D vs 3D animation, etc) that it has to meet to be considered anime. So any show that's anime and made in Japan is considered anime.

But there's also debate over whether shows from outside Japan can be considered anime. The Nickelodeon show Avatar: The Last Airbender is a classic example. There's also RWBY (an American 3D animated web show)... I don't know enough about anime to list off some South Korean and Chinese animated shows, but they're out there and take a lot of cues from anime.

A while back, there was a song called "Shelter" that came out (Porter Robinson ft. Madeon. Awesome song and awesome video, check it out.) The music video was produced by a Japanese animation studio, A-1. However, because the song itself was made by American/French artists, the moderators of the r/anime subreddit didn't consider it anime and did not allow discussion of the video.
Last edited by shnoodlec. on Fri May 18, 2018 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. Q&A thread HERE. "SHNOOD IS THE OLDBIE NEWBIE AND SHE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS THAT TITLE" - Belle
Smile Awhile
Cookies & Creme

This thread is not a joke. There are a few series I watch, Case Closed being one of them, but I wasn't completely positive what the definition of "anime" is, and I wanted to be sure. Thank you both for your responses!
What do you want here? You can move along to the next post now; nothing fun here in my signature.
MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

Tsukuyomi wrote:That's a question I didn't expect seeing posted in this day and age, but I'm very glad you asked it indeed.

Just let me take care of something first, restrains Helios :mrgreen:

Basically, anime is an unrestricted type of cartoon, meaning that there isn't really anything in place preventing them from being too explicit or too violent... but don't despair! The cases in which that becomes a problem are few and far between. Just stay away from Desert Punk, I implore you. Besides, the vast majority of them would rather tell a good story instead (and they do).

They are also heavily plot-driven, and tend to use their times really well, so there's little-to-no-filler and usually the week or so that stands between episodes would leave you with something worth your while. Cliffhangers? You bet, but the good quality ones... they WILL get resolved right away, since time isn't on their side (your common anime lasts 25 episodes at best, unless proven extremely popular).

And the art style is made with extreme attention to detail, so these are very good-looking indeed (although, personally, I get a bit sick of seeing everything with 300 different shadows).

All in all, these are great animated works. And if I could recommend something to start with, that would be Boku Hero Academia / My Hero Academia, which is not only great but pretty much exemplifies how to make good use of songs during the most epic moments.
If I could recommend 'Cory in the House'. Obviously the best anime.

(Also I love your avatar)
*Finger guns aggressively*
Tsukuyomi
Cookies & Creme

Kinda forgot to mention they were Japanese xD

Oh well, I guess you knew that :P
Why does everyone say that? What was so wrong with that show? Well, aside from the obvious things.
(Also I love your avatar)
:mrgreen:
shnoodlec.
Fudge Marble

Why does everyone say that? What was so wrong with that show? Well, aside from the obvious things.
It's a meme that's over ten years old at this point.

High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. Q&A thread HERE. "SHNOOD IS THE OLDBIE NEWBIE AND SHE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS THAT TITLE" - Belle
Tsukuyomi
Cookies & Creme

I see.

I do not meme (much).
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Hmm, I would say Code Geass is the best anime. The genre and style of anime varies. Also sometimes, Chinese and Korean manga adaptations are considered anime. Usually, anime comes from a manga or visual novel published in Japan that gained a great traction or audience. A good manga audience usually translates into a great anime success. The source material is often vital for a well made anime.

I watch a few different anime, and honestly, I find anime much more engaging than most cartoons produced in America. As anime, as an older audience, it can be compared to the animated movies of DC. Stylistically, anime differs from anime to anime honestly. So basically, anime compasses a wide variety of subjects, and I would encourage you to look into it a bit more. Start from Deathnote or Naruto or Code Geass.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Smile Awhile
Cookies & Creme

I've seen a few other series now, though still probably less than most "anime fans." My favorite is Kino's Journey 2017. Yes I have seen the 2003 adaptation, which many people seem to prefer, but the 2017 one was much more faithful to the original novels which is what I prefer when watching adaptations. Case Closed is a close second on my favorites list, though.