College Confusion

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Just wondering, what is a lanyard?
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Eanrin
Chocolate Chip

This is what a lanyard looks like. :) It's basically just a cord with a little hook or clip at the end so that you can attach your keys or ID card and wear it around your neck. I actually find mine useful, since I can put my keys on it and throw them into my backpack; then my keys are bulky enough that I can find them easily and I'm saved the heart-stopping moment of "Where the heck did I leave my keys?? O.o " after class. But yeah, wearing it around your neck with your ID/keys/the little booklet they gave you with the lanyard will probably brand you as a newcomer.
I fled Him, down the nights and down the days;
I fled Him, down the arches of the years;
I fled Him, down the labyrinthine ways of my own mind;
and in the mist of tears I hid from Him
Audrey
Cookies & Creme

Eanrin wrote:I can't emphasize enough how amazing Rate My Professors is. It is a total lifesaver, and can mean the difference between a fun class and a miserable semester of busywork.
AHHHHHHHHH YES.

I cannot believe how many students don't know about Rate My Professor. It has saved me, seriously. it's never been wrong so far. They rate on easiness of the course, how much homework is required, if you need the book, even hotness of the professor. You can sort by each class and see what grade the person reviewing got.

I switched Spanish classes because the teacher hadn't been declared until a month before classes and she had a C rating. I switched to another teacher for a 9 am class (ughhh) but her reviews said she was wonderful, not too difficult, and great for people who aren't super into Spanish like me. She is a GODSEND. Seriously my favorite teacher this semester even though I hate her subject with a passion.

And on the other hand, I took a class this semester from a guy that had a 2.1 rating out of 5 and I was like "it's a freshman seminar, he can't be that bad...right?" This guy was by far the worst teacher I have ever seen and should have retired 20 years ago (he told us in a quiet shaky whisper, which is how he conducted all of his lectures (AND WITHOUT A MIC) that he was 85. Dude. give it up.). He was indeed that bad. First class I've ever dropped.

When registering for classes, I just flipped back and forth and looked up every single potential teacher. Not everyone is on there, which stinks, but also if you find someone whose name is the same but it says they teach at a different college, click on it anyways. There's a good chance they switched to your school recently and haven't gotten a new page yet.

Seriously, this is like the #1 tip I give to people. It's saved my butt so many times. Good teachers make or break classes for me and the two best teachers I've had (and found via RMP) are the reasons why I decided to do my majors.

And yes on the addressing thing. If I think they might have a doctorate, I check their syllabus and see what they call themselves, but normally I go straight to Professor. I don't think I've ever addressed someone by Mr or Mrs, with the exception of my dope-as-heck Spanish teacher who insists we call her Mary.

Oh! Also, if you want to get into a class but you got waitlisted: Show up anyways. I know it sounds ridiculous, but here, if you don't show up on the first week, you're dropped. So people who want to get into the class go and either talk to the teacher afterwards or just sit in to see if they like it so they can get in later. Learn your drop policy too; I dropped one class already but because it was within the first two/three weeks I didn't even get a W on my transcript, which is awesome!!!

Ugh I could go on and on. I feel filled with advice. Go to club meetings even if you're not sure you'll like the topic, it never hurts to just try it out (and if you want to start going in the middle of the semester just do it anyways). Trivia nights are super fun if you ever want to go with friends, and it's even better if none of you know anything about the topics. Make a planner, and a physical calendar, and one on your phone, just so when you're caught somewhere without your physical planner you can just check your phone. Go out for things, even if you don't think you'll get them (for example: I'm now doing two podcast stories for our local radio station just because I was like "Oh I want to try doing a story" and they were like "YES DO IT"). If you live in a dorm, leave your door open, and if you hear other people congregating around someone else's dorm, go out and join them. That's the Audrey method of how to make friends: bust into people's conversations! (It worked!)

Finally: Don't get drunk and put a video of you yelling about how much your floor (who you've never even talked to) sucks and how they're the worst and how they never even talk to you and then put it on your snapchat story. Girl, you are locked in your room 24/7, we don't even know you.
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
Smile Awhile
Cookies & Creme

Miss Friendship wrote:So peoples. MF needs college advice from the experts*, since as usual, she runs headfirst towards something before knowing exactly what's happening. I haz quite a few questions. Like, what are the normal amount of credits per semester for a full time student? And, how many hours average a week does one need for homework? What type of things about college as a newcomer do you wish you would have known?

Resident experts: Tea Ess, Tiger, Belle, and Others Who My Brain Has Forgotten

(Online college does not count, Ox)

I look forward to as much information that you can throw my way.
[THIS COMMENT IS NOT MEANT TO BE RUDE OR OFFENSIVE IN ANY WAY! IT IS ONLY A MINOR ANNOYANCE THAT WOULD KEEP BUGGING ME IF I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING!]

I know you probably mean it as a joke, but it's bugging me, so I just wanted to say that technically, online college does count. I know someone who got an entire degree from online college, and some people have told me that it is more time-consuming and homework-heavy than on-campus. Again, I am not trying to be rude in any way. This is just what I've heard.
What do you want here? You can move along to the next post now; nothing fun here in my signature.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Thanks Eanrin. (Are you the super snarky dude who disappeared? I used to read your posts for amusement, I believe.)

Thanks for the book, Audrey. I actually was going to drop a class and since the Professors were absolutely amazing, I stayed. Haven't' had too many bad teachers yet, except for one, but thankfully, I only have to endure her once a week for an hour.
Audrey wrote:Finally: Don't get drunk and put a video of you yelling about how much your floor (who you've never even talked to) sucks and how they're the worst and how they never even talk to you and then put it on your snapchat story. Girl, you are locked in your room 24/7, we don't even know you.
xD Well, I am not in a dorm, so shouldn't be experiencing too much of that drama, or parties for that matter.
Smile Awhile wrote:I know you probably mean it as a joke, but it's bugging me, so I just wanted to say that technically, online college does count. I know someone who got an entire degree from online college, and some people have told me that it is more time-consuming and homework-heavy than on-campus. Again, I am not trying to be rude in any way. This is just what I've heard.
Oh yes, it does count. I simply wanted advice on dealing with a literal college campus and the traditions and tricks to that which a freshman might not know, and I can't know for sure if an online only class taker would know those.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Smile Awhile
Cookies & Creme

Miss Friendship wrote:Oh yes, it does count. I simply wanted advice on dealing with a literal college campus and the traditions and tricks to that which a freshman might not know, and I can't know for sure if an online only class taker would know those.
Yeah, I kinda thought that's what you meant, but it would've kept bugging me if I didn't say anything. :roll: I know, I'm weird that way.
What do you want here? You can move along to the next post now; nothing fun here in my signature.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Smile Awhile wrote:I know, I'm weird that way.
You are welcome to stay weird. =) Its you're right as a human. :yes:
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Can we get an update on this? How did it go? \:D/
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Tea Ess wrote:Can we get an update on this? How did it go? \:D/
Ah yes, I forgot about this thread. =P

The first year was the toughest. I took the math, and general required classes. I made zero friends. It was amazing. Never had to go to any party either. Do community colleges have any wild college parties? I don't even know.

I work full time in the evening and go to class in the morning. College was very exhausting, but I was pleased with my progress.

The second year I took one of the required classes and then decided to screw it, and take the classes with the information I really wanted to know.

After two years now, (I now attend part-time because of my full-time job) I have concluded I enjoy college for the wealth of information it provides me. The literature class, the sociology classes, the history, but I doubt it will ever give me a career that will ever make the money I want to make.

So I have been taking a lot of classes on my own online about the future of marketing and the definitions of successful businesses, stuff you don't really learn in college and definitely do not need a degree to practice. My plan is to work hard and get a job working as an intern in a certain place in New York that works in media marketing and grow from there. I'll work for free if they teach me the strategies I need to know.

College was a bit of a disappointment. Maybe because everyone seemed programmed the same way. I like diversity. It's like American food, good, but not spicy and amazing.

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

How are you going to afford to work for free while living in New York?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Eleventh Doctor wrote:How are you going to afford to work for free while living in New York?
It wouldn't be for long hopefully. Also, I would have another source of income.

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Well just be careful and remember that in most cases unpaid internships are illegal.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Eleventh Doctor wrote:Well just be careful and remember that in most cases unpaid internships are illegal.
There are many things illegal that people to do all the time, for example, cannabis was a big one for a long time. If I am going to do something illegal, I feel this is a good one.

But, it's not illegal. Here are the criteria for unpaid internships. Some unpaid internships are illegal, true. I am a little disappointed with you. When have you become such a fan of blanket statements?

https://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/emplo ... rules.html

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I said "in most cases unpaid internships are illegal" I didn't make a blanket system.

If you have enough income and situations allow you to take a legal unpaid internship good for you! But maybe have some empathy and realize not everyone can do the same.

Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Eleventh Doctor wrote: But maybe have some empathy and realize not everyone can do the same.
? I'm confused. This thread has only been talking about my college experience and my long term goals. Where did I hint that I am lacking in empathy? Or somehow believing anyone could do the same? Not just anyone can do anything due to prior choices or commitments, I fully recognize that and don't appreciate you assuming I feel differently.

But then again, it is fun to make accusations out of thin air, isn't it? \:D/