Disney Villains

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Baron von Odyssey
Cookies & Creme

Disney Villains

What are your opinions on them, who are your favorites and/or least favorites, etc. (Over the weekend I've developed a weird interest in Disney villains (not sure why) so I had to start this topic)
"Greetings. Name's Baron Von Odyssey. My card."
(Card: [Baron von Odyssey - writer, book lover, fairytale enthusiast, and AIO fan])
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My posts are awesome! You wanna know why?
BECAUSE I'M BATMAN!!
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Scar is the epitome of the Disney villain to me, but that's because I grew up on The Lion King and it resonates just as much with me now as it did then. He's the archetypal villain—he's evil, petty, cruel, selfish, arrogant, and cowardly, completely lacking in redeeming qualities. But he's still ingenious, clever, manipulative, and strong in his own right, and creates a believably threatening force against the heroes. A story is really only as good as its conflict, and Scar presents a truly classic one.

Mother Gothel is also good, but for different reasons, because she represents something rather more visceral and personal to the audience than "evil uncle who wants to off you and your family and take place as regent"—she's an abusive parent. We see just how much damage has been inflicted on Rapunzel by this woman, both in the film and extracanonical material, and many people who have been in abusive situations have talked about how true-to-life she is. And seeing Rapunzel stand up to her and then her ultimate fate are both incredibly satisfying moments, and then seeing Rapunzel finding a true, loving family of her own and finding joy and fulfillment from the world she was always told was evil is a final kick in the teeth to what Gothel did to her, and it's wonderful that Gothel is such a compelling and emotion-inducing villain that we want to see that happen.

(Side note, but I'm really excited for the Tangled animated series that's coming soon to Disney Channel, even if I do like Rapunzel's pixie cut instead of her long hair. Sort of a nice throwback to the Aladdin TV series.)

Also, because I'm not sure if anyone's going to bring him up and I feel like I just have to, let us never forget Fantasia's Chernabog. Because he's terrifying, powerful, and well-animated, and the music for his scene is just awesome. \:D/
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Autumnal
Chocolate Chip

On the topic of Rapunzel's pixie cut, Flynn's super barber powers are A+. He should definitely go into the hair-cutting business since he's not a thief anymore.

I really love Mother Gothel too. Since you brought up the abusive parent thing, I like how the route is different than others simply because it's psychological and emotional abuse rather than the physical abuse that's more commonly seen. The physical abuse usually goes hand-in-hand with the psychological and/or emotional, but we don't see strictly that form of abuse crop up in a lot of mainstream media as far as I know. Her villain song, design, and voice acting are top notch too.

Yzma and Kronk were the best part of Emperor's New Groove. I don't think I need to say much more for them. Oh, let's not forget our lawyer-like villain Hades from Hercules. And, of course, our elegant and lovely Maleficent. OOH, and how could I forgot about Frollo? One of the few villains that are pure evil, despicible human beings that are properly written in Disney.

As for my least favorite? I can't really think of one right now that I actively disliked, honestly. Probably Ratcliffe from Pocahontas because he was more one-note and shallow than...anything.
Last edited by Autumnal on Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baron von Odyssey
Cookies & Creme

You just named all my favorites, Autumnal. :D And I agree Ratcliffe is one of my least favorites too.
"Greetings. Name's Baron Von Odyssey. My card."
(Card: [Baron von Odyssey - writer, book lover, fairytale enthusiast, and AIO fan])
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My posts are awesome! You wanna know why?
BECAUSE I'M BATMAN!!
Bananareader
Caramel Crunch

My Favorites are probably Captain Hook, Jafar, Maleficent.