The Musical Journey

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

The Musical Journey

Hello, everybody, it's me! The Old Judge! Yes, I know I haven't been around much in the last year. As some of you old-timers may remember, I typically only frequent the AIO sections of the forum. Since Odyssey episodes have been scant, I don't do as much discussing. However, I have surfaced enough in the past week to surge my post count to 1899, making this post the 1,900th! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Another thing about me is that I am horribly lame. Belle comes up with all these great ideas like the Stanley Project and resizing signatures, and I sit here and ask people to expound upon their phrases that weren't clear to me. :) But a thought hit me about five minutes ago, something I'd thought would be cool to do for a while.

Only a select few of you know that I am a musical fan. Aside from hymns and other sacred music, I enjoy the secular music from about 1895-1965, with sporadic songs from both before and after. But the 20th century in particular had so many unique styles and evolutions of music as had not been seen before. So, since I am now in the "1900s" of my posts, I have a little Easter egg hunt for anyone up for the challenge. Here's out it works:

Whenever I post from now on, there will be a ridiculous sounding phrase detached from the rest at the bottom of each post. It will be a hint from a song. Now, no tricks or obscure songs. All songs will have been (or still are) popular. The hitch is, you will have to look at my post count. Whatever the number of my post count is, that will be the year the song is written. An example would be:

"I left my infant at home last night. I called her, left a message, and said, 'Oh, baby, telephone, and tell me I'm your own.'" (1899)

The answer to that would be Hello, Ma Baby, a song that is still heard today.

Now, some of the hints will be quite easy, while others require some digging. Some hints can even be the lyrics of songs, while others may be shows those songs appeared in. When you know the song, post the answer on this topic. I will edit the list of hints and correct answers on this topic as time goes on. Hopefully, we can get all the way through to 2000. Are you ready? Here's your first hint:

A little girl came up to me and had said she didn't want to attend the girls' class at her church-the Sunbeams. Being her friend, I persuaded her that she would enjoy it. She went up to her father after our talk and said, "I'll be a Sunbeam for him." (1900)

Happy Hunting!

Completed Songs
1900-I'll Be A Sunbeam: Limerick
1901-I Love You Truly: Connie G.
1904-Meet Me in St. Louis: Wretched Sinner
1905-In My Merry Oldsmobile: Wretched Sinner
1913-Danny Boy: Belle
1917-Over There: Belle
1918-God Bless America: Belle
1919-Mandy: Belle
1920-Blue Jeans: sing
1921-The Sheik of Araby: Belle
1922-The Laughing Policeman: Belle
1927-Are You Lonesome Tonight?: Belle
1928-I Wanna Be Loved By You: Limerick
1929-Singin' in the Rain: Limerick
1931-Smile, Darn Ya, Smile: Limerick
1932-Chinaman, Laundryman
1933-Gloomy Sunday: Limerick
1935-Animal Crackers in My Soup: Limerick
1936-Pennies from Heaven: Limerick
1937-The Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot: Limerick
1938-Heart and Soul: Limerick
1939-I'm A Little Teapot: Limerick
1941-The Joint is Really Jumpin' Down at Carnegie Hall: Kaida
1943-Sunday, Monday, or Always: Kaida
1945-Rum and Coca-Cola: Kaida
1946-Jump in the Line: Kaida
1947-I'm My Own Grandpa: Woody
1951-It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas: Kaida
1953-I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas: Isaiah the Ox
1956-Hot Diggity: Kaida
1961-Stand by Me: Wretched Sinner
1962-Johnny Angel: Wretched Sinner
1963-Hey Paula: Wretched Sinner
1964-Under the Boardwalk: Wretched Sinner
1965-Wooly Bully: TigerShadow
1966-I Fought the Law: Wretched Sinner
1967-Snoopy vs. The Red Baron: Wretched Sinner
1969 -Crystal Blue Persuasion: Wretched Sinner
1970 -Signed, Sealed, and Delivered, I'm Yours: Wretched Sinner
1971 -The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down: Wretched Sinner
1972-The Candy Man: Belle
1973-Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Wretched Sinner
1974 -Time in a Bottle: Wretched Sinner
1976-Don't Go Breaking My Heart: Wretched Sinner
1977-Galactic Funk: Wretched Sinner
1978-Jack and Jill: Wretched Sinner
1979-The Devil Went Down to Georgia: Wretched Sinner
1980-Another One Bites the Dust: Wretched Sinner
1981-America: Wretched Sinner
1982-Eye of the Tiger: Wretched Sinner
1983-Lawyers in Love: Wretched Sinner
1984-Back in Time: Wretched Sinner
1985-We Built This City: Wretched Sinner
1986-We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off: Wretched Sinner
1987-Hip To Be Square: Wretched Sinner
1988-Naughty Girls Need Love Too: Wretched Sinner
1989-BatDance: Wretched Sinner
1990-Wooden Heart: Wretched Sinner
1991-The Motown Song: Wretched Sinner
Last edited by The Old Judge on Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
AIOrocks101
Strawberry

But your post count could be different if you post other things between the post with the clue and when I and other people see it.
Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

Yes, Your post # count always changes, so if you post 3 things in a row, without anyone seeing them, it could be confusing... Also I know no 80's or 90's songs-at all :P I know, big suprize, i'm 13 :P
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

That's why I'm putting the year in parentheses after the clue. You will always know which post was which. I'm just hoping this thing actually garners some interest. It could be fun.

Bert and Ernie's infamous duet in It's A Wonderful Life. (1901)
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

So, how do we participate? do we post after that in whatever thread it is? (thanks)

Yes I heard that :lol:

"I love you truuuly, truuuuuuulyyy dearr...."

Don't know if that's the name of the song

Limerick
Caramel Crunch

"I'll Be A Sunbeam" by Nellie Talbot

http://library.timelesstruths.org/music ... a_Sunbeam/
Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

Hey, are there prizes??????? :P

Limerick
Caramel Crunch

You're right, Connie

"I Love You Truly" by Carrie Jacobs-Bond.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_You_Truly
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

No, you would post your answer on here. Preferably, I would like the song title, it you have the right song. I will also post the name of the person who got the song correct on my "Completed" list, which is still in the works.

I ran him out one evening with my comb, now I want him back. (1902)
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Sung by a violent hairdresser... :roll:
*is so lost here*
O well it'll be fun to watch!
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

I like this idea!

However, I would suggest putting it in italics or something, so people don't get confused, and put a link in your siggy, so people know what's going on.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Okay, Boss, done and done. And HomeschoolCowgirl, not all of the hints will be that hard. For instance,

"Okay boys, we leave in the morning. Enjoy your last night on land, because the anchors come up in the morning!" (1906)
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

The pipes, the pipes are calling.... (1913)

This is "Danny Boy", right? :D
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Yes, Belle, you are correct. Which means somebody is still playing my game! :mad: \:D/ But don't forget, there are at least thirteen more unsolved hints spread across the forum. There is a three-way tie right now in scores, with Limerick, Connie G., and Belle each having one point.

The pacifist anthem of neutral Americans for two years of the Great War. (1915)
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

"This song, another by Irving Berlin gained a newfound popularity when it was featured in the Bing Crosby musical White Christmas. (1919)"

Would this one be "Mandy"?
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Correct, again. Belle has taken the lead.

An obscure song, which even I have never heard of, also known as the Fox Trot Song. (1920)
sing
Raspberry Ripple

The Old Judge wrote:
An obscure song, which even I have never heard of, also known as the Fox Trot Song. (1920)
Blue Jeans. And yes, I just googled that

Of course, all boys have cooties, so I avoid like them like the plague. -Helios

Music is life, that's why our hearts have beats
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Correct, sing! The score is now:

Belle: 2
Limerick: 1
Connie G.: 1
sing: 1

Don't forget, there are another 17 hints (as of now) still scattered throughout the forum!

A 1920s parody (more like outright plagiarism) of the 1890s The Laughing Song by George W. Johnson. (1922)
Emma
Peach Cobbler

I am confused about the hints. One of them mentioned the actress Doris Day. Does she have anything to do with this song?
MnM
Raspberry Ripple

Are we allowed to Google things for the game?