Chatter in the Booths

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

Robin Hood is awesome. Very clean, fun old movie. For a new Disney movie... um, I can't really think of one that I approve of, actually. I liked Wreck It Ralph a lot, (it got a little inappropriate more than once), and Meet the Robinsons is one of my favorite movies ever (also may want to look over like, the Plugged In review).
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Prince of Egypt isn't Disney but it's really good.
AuntSarah
Caramel Crunch

Kungfunaomi wrote:Robin Hood is awesome.
yes! thats what I was gonna say! the old Disney robin hood is my favorite movie! I own it if you wanna borrow it Jo March :)

-- Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:32 am --
Kungfunaomi wrote: Also, AuntSarah, I looked at those amazing gel pens but I have no idea what I would do with them.
you could doodle on EVERYTHING :D :mad:
Aha suh dude
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

@SirWhit: I LOVE Prince of Egypt, as well as the other one--arghhhhh--I don't remember the name. And thanks for the point about Mulan.

Thanks, @Kungfunaomi... Definitely will.

@AuntSarah: Thanks, I might have to take you up on that!!
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
“No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” P.T. Barnum
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

I watched Doctor Who today for... yikes. About 8 hours? Goodness. Someone save me. My thoughts are now in Matt Smith's voice. Good thing or bad thing? I honestly don't know. HOWEVER, I rewatched the Vincent Van Gough episode, and it is not only a tear-jerker still to this day, but it was also incredibly relatable and inspirational. Highly recommend it.
I'm going to paint tomorrow! Don't worry though, I'm already an artist, so it'll be a good painting. Am I going mad? Oh, wait. I almost forgot, haha.
Don't worry! I went mad a long time ago.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

PennyBassett wrote:Am I going mad? Oh, wait. I almost forgot, haha.
Haha, you and me both, kiddo.

On another note, I had a very exciting morning, with the sheriff ringing the doorbell at 7:47. There was a grass fire that got out of control nearby. WE ALMOST HAD TO EVACUATE!!! Thankfully, the firemen put it out quickly, but it was a little freaky!
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
“No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” P.T. Barnum
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

I'm making potato pancakes and reading scholarly articles on factors influencing the decriminalization of homosexuality. \:D/
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Mr. Clever
Cookies & Creme

PennyBassett wrote:I watched Doctor Who today for... yikes. About 8 hours? Goodness. Someone save me. My thoughts are now in Matt Smith's voice. Good thing or bad thing? I honestly don't know. HOWEVER, I rewatched the Vincent Van Gough episode, and it is not only a tear-jerker still to this day, but it was also incredibly relatable and inspirational. Highly recommend it.
I'm going to paint tomorrow! Don't worry though, I'm already an artist, so it'll be a good painting. Am I going mad? Oh, wait. I almost forgot, haha.

I know how you feel. Suddenly its like The Doctor has taken you over. Although my thoughts are in the voice of David Tenant's (I think that's how you spell his name?) Don't worry you'll get used to it after a while.
“We all change. When you think about it, we’re all different people, all through our lives. And that’s okay, that’s good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.” - Matt Smith
Kungfunaomi
Cookies & Creme

TheDoctor wrote: Suddenly its like The Doctor has taken you over.
I'm thinking maybe I should watch this instead of Blimey Cow. Or I was thinking of resurrecting Pound Puppies again, I haven't watched it in years. Wonder if I'll still think it's any good O.o YES I USED TO LOVE POUND PUPPIES
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

lol, r/Christianity on Reddit is imploding again.
321tumbler
Caramel Crunch

That sounds like fun.
Tsukuyomi
Cookies & Creme

321tumbler wrote:That sounds like fun.
And surprises no-one.
~Two of your five a day~.
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

321tumbler wrote:That sounds like fun.
It's been.. interesting. r/Christianity has a years-long debate about whether or not it should be against the rules to call for the mass extermination of gay people. Calling for genocide against Jewish people and pro-slavery arguments ("curse of Ham" type stuff) are against the rules, so you think this would be too, but apparently it's a legitimate theological opinion that should be discussed.

The head moderator, Outsider, along with one other mod, brucemo, have been very resistant to taking down posts and comments that advocate for state-enforced capital punishment for gay people, mostly through abusing the "Steps of Moderation" community policy and dragging out the process to the greatest extent possible. Some users on the subreddit, especially the LGBT+ Christians that participate, as well as some of the (now former) moderators, have pushed back against this policy, and every once in a while Outsider flips out and bans them.

Most recently, the admins of Reddit decided to add a new site-wide rule that bans calls to violence (read: they got bad media attention after an alt-right redditor murdered his father, and were finally forced to actually do something about the widespread bigotry on their website). Naturally, Outsider and brucemo took issue with this rule applying to Christians and gay people, so when one of the other r/Christianity mods, RevMelissa, said she would report open calls of violence to the admins, Outsider flipped out and demodded her, then (falsely) accused her of lying about random things in an attempt to discredit her. The community didn't react well to that, and other mods came forward to support RevMelissa and her side of the story. Outsider then went on a powertrip, banned RevMelissa and half of his entire mod team, and also banned dozens of other innocent users from the subreddit for disagreeing with him.

With the way Reddit works, there's not really a way to replace an active head mod unless they step down or the admins remove them. Outsider has been head mod for (I think) over 8 years, and it's not likely that he'll relinquish that position now. If I was new to Reddit I'd hope that the admins would help considering that this involves their own rule, but realistically that is unlikely.
Tsukuyomi wrote:And surprises no-one.
Have you been following this as well? Truth be told, this was my first time on r/Christianity in months. I mostly just lurk on the fringe Christian subs with the other salty gays.
321tumbler
Caramel Crunch

Reddit never ceases to surprise me. I actually did go look it up after you mentioned it, but I wasn't quite able to understand it all. Thank you for this explanation. It has been enlightening.
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Yeah, the original threads about this in r/Christianity were deleted. Here's the main one. Also, RevMelissa posted this in her denominational (Disciples of Christ) subreddit.

Honestly, Reddit has been one of the biggest reasons I've changed my opinions about freedom of speech. I'm still adamant about its importance when it comes to government policy, but I think we have a responsibility to keep hate speech off of private platforms, even if that means certain people don't get to "respectfully discuss" their opinion that autistic people should be euthanized or the like.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

me: lol reddit's the worst

also me: -desperately shoves the blue cesspit that is tungle.hell out of everyone's line of sight-

I mean, online communities in general are a mess because they're communities made up of real people, who not only are by their very nature a mess, but have also been permitted to gain relative anonymity and free reign to share the vast majority of their opinions. It's why it amuses me when people say "[such and such thing] on The Internet" in a tone clearly meant to say that internet communication is somehow a lesser art form, as if online communication, like...isn't an interaction between two people. Online conversations and interactions do actually affect others, because even though you've got a screen and a keyboard in front of you instead of a human body, you're still talking with a real person. Everybody's online community where they spend their time is a wasteland full of insanity, because real human beings are their own little individual pockets of insanity.

That being said...I'm significantly less surprised by a reddit community imploding than I would be if I were even slightly more idealistic. (That's not to argue that I'm not a huge rubbernecker when it comes to the discourse, though.)
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

A Reddit community is imploding? No way! Say it ain't so!!
Tsukuyomi
Cookies & Creme

Have you been following this as well? Truth be told, this was my first time on r/Christianity in months. I mostly just lurk on the fringe Christian subs with the other salty gays.
Nah man, I haven't. I just know how that kind of thing tend to end because a lot of my friends feel like debating over it.
321tumbler
Caramel Crunch

You have friends?
Tsukuyomi
Cookies & Creme

321tumbler wrote:You have friends?
*SLAPS*.