Percy Jackson...

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Batgirl
Cookies & Creme

Percy Jackson...

Have you guys heard of Percy Jackson before? Have you read the books, seen the movie, heard about the new one coming up? :D
"Sometimes the best book has the dustiest jacket, and sometimes the best tea cup is chipped."
GratiaDei
Cookies & Creme

I have read the books, including the new series and I've watched the movie. To be brutally honest, the movie was one of the worst movie versions of a book I have ever seen. They changed at least a third of the story, left out key characters, and messed with the plot so much that it will be a miracle if the second one even makes sense. I suppose that if I had not read the books, I would have thought it was an okay movie, but I almost cried, it was that different. I will watch the second movie, but I don't have high hopes. On the other hand, I loved the books. I have read and quoted each one many, many times. I love Rick Riordan's incorporation of Greek mythology in a new and exciting way. I would definitely recommend the series to pretty much anyone over 8 or 9.
Mara
Pistachio

I absolutely love Percy Jackson! Same as GratiaDei, I have read both series and I am so excited for the House of Hades to come out this fall. Percy Jackson made Greek Mythology more interesting and fun to me and I love that Rick Riordan was so accurate with the history in the book. But, I was also very upset with the movie, but I am going to go see the Sea of Monsters anyway.
GratiaDei
Cookies & Creme

I am bumping this for discussion about House of Hades. What is everybody's opinion on this long-awaited book?
Mara
Pistachio

I loved it! I enjoyed reading about Percy and Annabeth surviving in Tartarus, and I thought it was so sweet how they helped each other make it.
Some of my favorite parts:
Jason and Hazel dealing with Sciron
Frank defeating the cow things and Ares makes him stronger and less clumsy
Percy and Annabeth meeting Bob
The arai putting curses on Percy and Annabeth
Leo and Calypso <3
Finding out Coach Hedge is going to be a dad!

The only thing I was disappointed in was finding out about Nico...
I really liked this book. I couldn't put it down!
GratiaDei
Cookies & Creme

I totally agree. The characters were excellent as always, with a perfect combination of strengths and weaknesses. The dialogue was funny, especially Coach Hedge and Leo. Not many people can pull off that many books, but Uncle Rick adds something new and exciting to each one. I am eagerly anticipating the Blood of Olympus.
I was very disappointed about Nico. It partially spoiled my enjoyment of the book.
Mara
Pistachio

I agree with you about Nico. This made the book a 9 out of 10 instead of 10 for me.
I love how Leo can be so hilarious and cheer everybody up!
Another of my favorite parts was when Frank became Praetor
Also, what do you think of Leo and Calypso?
GratiaDei
Cookies & Creme

Leo is definitely one of my favorite characters.
Leo and Calypso would be so cute together! He really deserves to have someone like her. I think it was really smart to bring her back in.
Mara
Pistachio

I know! Uncle Rick does such a great job tying in things from the past.
I always wondered who Leo would have and I never really thought about Calypso again after Percy left her. Do you remember which book that's in? I want to reread it!
GratiaDei
Cookies & Creme

Battle of the Labyrinth, I believe.
Right after he blows up Hephaestus' workshop. I always liked that part.
Mara
Pistachio

Do you remember what book it is when Percy pushes Iapetus into the Lethe? I want to reread that too!
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

I've never read these books. And I can't really see myself reading them either. Not into the whole Greek mythology thing.
Helios
Butter Pecan

Well, Nelson, they aren't girly. That's the only reason I can see for you reading them.

Other than that, they are chock-full of mythological elements. :D
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

Haha, I wasn't worried about them being girly. XD But like I said I'm not a huge fan of mythological stuff. I really haven't been around a lot of mythological stuff. Mostly Disney stuff. Like Herculies and a few parts of Fantasia. XD
Helios
Butter Pecan

Hercules...I think that one took an abrupt departure from the original myth. But I've never seen it, so I'm not sure. :D
Mara
Pistachio

I think after reading this series, you can really understand mythology a lot more, because the books are so true to history. After reading them, Greek history became MUCH more interesting to me.
Helios
Butter Pecan

That's great, Mara!

I think I'm the inverse of that. I read the book because I was really in to Greek mythology!
GratiaDei
Cookies & Creme

Mara wrote:Do you remember what book it is when Percy pushes Iapetus into the Lethe? I want to reread that too!
That was actually one of the short stories in The Demigod Files. I loved Bob in the House of Hades!
Mara
Pistachio

GratiaDei wrote:
Mara wrote:Do you remember what book it is when Percy pushes Iapetus into the Lethe? I want to reread that too!
That was actually one of the short stories in The Demigod Files. I loved Bob in the House of Hades!
Really? Hmmm, I don't remember it...
Purple Panda
Strawberry

Yeah, GratiaDei is right, good old Bob became the lovable amnesiac he is in the House of Hades in a Demigod Files short story. I really loved the House of Hades, and I think the whole Tartarus twist shook up the series satisfactorily.
Do you guys think that Rick only did the Nico thing as a stand to bullies like he said, or it's an appeal to another demographic?
“I’m not a psychopath. I’m a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research.”-Sherlock Holmes