Switch to full style
If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
Post a reply

Re: Movies

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:00 am

I saw it a few days ago! I liked it a lot! It had some weird editing moments though.

Re: Movies

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:02 pm

Has anyone seen The Ultimate Life, the sequel to The Ultimate Gift?

Re: Movies

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Jo March wrote:Has anyone seen The Ultimate Life, the sequel to The Ultimate Gift?

Nope, what are both movies about?


I saw The Crimes of Grindelwald this morning, and though I'm still processing it, there were a few too many things to keep track of.

Re: Movies

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:46 pm

I saw the Grinch yesterday. It was actually really good! It's a family movie- obviously. But super cute and funny. The character development of the Grinch and Max and everyone was surprisingly detailed. I kinda wanna see it again...

Re: Movies

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:03 pm

Really? we've been thinking about seeing it and we thought The Grinch looked pretty good!

Re: Movies

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:17 pm

I just watched Shazam. 2nd. Best. DC. Movie. Ever.

Re: Movies

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:06 am

Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:I just watched Shazam. 2nd. Best. DC. Movie. Ever.

*has debated seeing it just because Zachary Levi is hilarious*

What's the first best DC movie?

Re: Movies

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:28 am

Dark Knight, for obvious reasons.

Re: Movies

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:51 am

Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:Dark Knight, for obvious reasons.

*slowly blinks*

Idk, I've never seen any Batman movie.

The only DC movie I've seen was Wonder Woman and I loved it.

Re: Movies

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:44 pm

i have near concrete plans to see unplanned tomorrow! if y'all want it, i'll be sure to give the scoop.

Re: Movies

Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Belle wrote:
Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:Dark Knight, for obvious reasons.

*slowly blinks*

Idk, I've never seen any Batman movie.

The only DC movie I've seen was Wonder Woman and I loved it.

The Dark Knight is widely considered to be one of the greatest super hero films because of it being more of a crime movie, and it being a perfect film with stellar performances by Heath Ledger and Christian Bale.

Re: Movies

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:39 pm

Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:
Belle wrote:
Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:Dark Knight, for obvious reasons.

*slowly blinks*

Idk, I've never seen any Batman movie.

The only DC movie I've seen was Wonder Woman and I loved it.

The Dark Knight is widely considered to be one of the greatest super hero films because of it being more of a crime movie, and it being a perfect film with stellar performances by Heath Ledger and Christian Bale.



I disagree. SharkBoy and LavaGirl will always...ALWAYS be the best superhero movie. :noway:

Re: Movies

Sat May 04, 2019 8:58 pm

Ya'll seen Endgame yet?

Re: Movies

Sun May 05, 2019 12:30 am

Yep.
Also this avatar makes me mad b/c I'm a Sonic fan.

Re: Movies

Sat May 25, 2019 8:57 pm

GJFH wrote:i have near concrete plans to see unplanned tomorrow! if y'all want it, i'll be sure to give the scoop.

I want the scoop!

Re: Movies

Mon May 27, 2019 2:32 pm

Connie G. wrote:
GJFH wrote:i have near concrete plans to see unplanned tomorrow! if y'all want it, i'll be sure to give the scoop.

I want the scoop!


this is months late, sorry!
i liked it. the message was clear and easy to understand, there were really well written scenes. in parts, it didn't seem as if the director/screenwriter were sugar coating anything (they made some bold choices in what they allowed the audience to see). i am pro life so i knew coming into it that i already would have trouble viewing it objectively.
also, i mostly usually emotional arguments so this isn't going to be v bullet listed or structured. (i'll try not to let it get too muddled, apologies in advance)

firstly, it was produced in part by pureflix and i have a boatload of issues with that company in due to their iffy marketing, formulaic writing, and representation of faith (or the lack of it.) it wasn't edited v well, and some of the casting choices, uh, definitely were noticeable.
in a flashback scene they used the same thirty something year old actress to play nineteen year old Abby Johnson. i get that it had a seemingly low budget (6 mil) but even with makeup, it was v clear that the actress was far older in that scene than portrayed. in addition, my sisters and i both commented that the actress selected for the role of Abby's mom, Robin DeMarco, looked too young to be the mother of someone in their thirties. that alone was distracting.

the movie's antagonist was your fairly stereotypical anti-life, anti-family villain. not gonna lie, i wish they had written her differently. i do think planned parenthood has done awful things, and there are genuinely evil people involved (there's a location 30 minutes from my house) but not every individual in authority is as vile as they showed Cheryl. i get that they needed an antagonist, some personification of evil, but i've seen Christian movies do this more often than not. i'm a huge believer it's a deterrent to non-Christians and harms the way Christians go about sharing their faith. her character was almost cartoon.

there was that voice-over that's pretty common with Christian movies. i'm not anti voice- over, but i think it becomes a lazy tool when it's overused. i also recognize how this is going to sound, but it was primarily written by two men, i love men, although, they aren't fully able to understand what it's like to be a woman in Abby's situation enough to write about it. it's just as if a man was to write a book from a woman's perspective, or a woman was to write a book from a man's perspective. it's not impossible, but it's probably noticeable.

yet in the end, i could tell a lot of passion and research went into making the movie. there was factual evidence and solid points in deference to abortion which made for a compelling argument. i appreciated that they showed a difference in how people sometimes protest pp. also, they didn't shy away from a lot of up close encounters with abortion. i liked it. i'm glad it drew attention to the debate and the fact that even if you're in one camp, you can change. there's some elements of redemption there. there were some really strong scenes.
in a way, it also didn't gloss over the fact that woman choose to have abortions because of finances or current living situations. there's a few reasons why woman in the film go to Abby's pp center which demonstrates that abortion is sometimes seen as the only option. i liked that the closing message was about hope and opening up other opportunities and providing help!! abortion isn't the only way.

so there we go. i didn't hate it. but it definitely had its issues. if anyone else has seen unplanned, i'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Re: Movies

Mon May 27, 2019 9:02 pm

You're not late! I only asked two days ago lol so it's me :P I reckon I'll see it when it comes out on DVD, thanks!

Re: Movies

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:04 pm

That movie was an excellent comedy. When the villain physically backed Abby Johnson up against the railing and proceeded to give her the, "How could you, after all I've done for you- I made you!" villain speech I howled inside. And when she went on to say, "abortion is our fries and soda" I was inwardly laughing so hard I shook a bit.

It's really sad, honestly. This movie makes us look so bad. I mean right from the beginning when it says something about, "People ask me, were you really that ignorant? And the answer is... Yes." Oh great. Pro-choicers are ignorant. Is that a good way to win anybody over? My main takeaway from this film was a dramatically increased amount of empathy for pro-choicers. I can see how it can be hard to put up with us.

Oh well, what did we expect? Ladies and gentlemen, we now know what the writers of Gods Not Dead think of abortion. Frankly, I didn't ask.

Re: Movies

Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:21 am

Pound Foolish wrote:That movie was an excellent comedy. When the villain physically backed Abby Johnson up against the railing and proceeded to give her the, "How could you, after all I've done for you- I made you!" villain speech I howled inside. And when she went on to say, "abortion is our fries and soda" I was inwardly laughing so hard I shook a bit.

It's really sad, honestly. This movie makes us look so bad. I mean right from the beginning when it says something about, "People ask me, were you really that ignorant? And the answer is... Yes." Oh great. Pro-choicers are ignorant. Is that a good way to win anybody over? My main takeaway from this film was a dramatically increased amount of empathy for pro-choicers. I can see how it can be hard to put up with us.

Oh well, what did we expect? Ladies and gentlemen, we now know what the writers of Gods Not Dead think of abortion. Frankly, I didn't ask.

i totally respect this take. and i wouldn't disagree that this movie makes us look bad. just out of curiosity, are there any 'Christian' films or controversial films in general you like? i'm always trying to add to my list.

also! i just saw room for the first time and it's amazing. 10/10 recommend.
Post a reply