Movies

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
NinjaHunter
Raspberry Ripple

My dad and brother saw Boss Baby and told me it was great; shrugs shoulders
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

I saw Boss Baby with the brothers, and while I wouldn't say it was "great," it succeeded my expectations. It had its moments, there was a few times when the entire theater was laughing, and others that were very touching. I suppose you could compare it with Storks, though Boss Baby I enjoyed tremendously more. The style of animation was wonderful tool, quite vibrant. :yes:
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Helios
Butter Pecan

I watched Ninjago! \:D/ *dances* I am such a child. :(
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

Kathy0 wrote:I just watched "The Book Thief" again! Cried like 4 diff times! =) its fabulous!
The Book Theif is one of my top favorites!!!!!!
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
“No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” P.T. Barnum
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

I read Coraline by Neil Gaiman a few weeks ago, and just watched the movie on Netflix. It is sooo good. o_0 It takes the interesting, creepy book and makes it so much fuller and deeper, getting across the point a lot better, I found, than the book did. Very enjoyable. :mrgreen:
xo eht haiasi-
Helios
Butter Pecan

Boss Baby. It was...a whole lot better than I'd been expecting, given the trailers. But then again, Alec Baldwin makes the whole "boss baby" thing really work. Twas weird, tho--I'd just watched MI:5 Rogue Nation the week before. O.o
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

I saw Avengers last night for the fifty-second time. A true classic. 8)

The issue was that everyone I was watching it with fell asleep so I was left to make silly jokes and comments.
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and it was AWESOME!!!!
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I started a show called Switched At Birth. It's not the most interesting show ever, but one of the main characters is deaf, so I'm hooked.
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Bethany Shepard wrote:I started a show called Switched At Birth. It's not the most interesting show ever, but one of the main characters is deaf, so I'm hooked.
My roommates watch that... and they are also hooked. O.o =P

Pretty Little Liars. I can't stop, help. :mad:
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

I just realized that my spelling in my last post was atrocious! Sorry!

Any suggestions for good movies that aren't chick-flicks or romances, for a very conservative family? (Yeah, tough sorry. My parents are pretty strict about what we watch... :/)
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Jo March wrote: Any suggestions for good movies that aren't chick-flicks or romances, for a very conservative family? (Yeah, tough sorry. My parents are pretty strict about what we watch... :/)
Seriously, I hope I can be as helpful as possible here. :)

Firstly, Holes, a Disney film based off a children's novel. It's about family and friendship and facing opposition. Yes, it focuses a bit on a 'family curse,' I warn you, though the sincerity of the acting and the calamity that occurs is indeed memorable. Fun and different adventure with an incredible soundtrack.

A forgotten one, Home on the Range, it might have more appeal for a younger audience, though is still a clever and gripping western musical comedy. This movie follows three plucky cows as they venture out into the west to win a fortune large enough to save their farm. Against the odds, they are able to escape a cattle thief, various mischievous villains, and endure a flood, all while growing close to one another. Absolutely silly, and absolutely worth watching.

Finding Neverland. A tale of the author of Peter Pan, and the family he fell in love with inspired his writing. A charming movie with bright enthusiastic and imaginative characters who you can't help but love.

Meet the Robinsons.One of my family's favourites, an obscure Disney animated film featuring a collection of wonderfully zany characters and silly occurrences. Also a story where adoption is openly talked about, and the quirks that set people apart are seen as strengths. Very clean.

Fly Away Home.
It's been a few years since I've seen it, actually, and you could look into it more, yet I distinctly remember enjoying it tremendously. It's about the relationship between a grieving teenage girl and her distant father. It's a raw one.

Hugo. Another story of an orphan. Hugo is a young and clever kid surviving alone in Paris until he is acquainted with a fascinating secret that involves his late father. Very clean.

The first Night at The Museum. Quite clean, even if it does include a few outrageously silly moments, arguably, there are things to be gained. The importance of preserving history and keeping the promises you make.

The Swiss Family Robinson A true classic where a family finds themselves shipwrecked on a lonely jungle island during the eighteen hundreds. An exciting film with pirates, dangerous weather, and vicious wildlife.

Big Hero 6, Definitely a clean one, incredibly sweet and moving, and yet, there were moments when I couldn't stop laughing.

Pete's Dragon, both the first, and the recent reproduction. They are exquisite, the cinematography stunning, and the stories, exciting and endearing simultaneously.

Newsies(1992) A musical drama about the plight of newsboys towards the end of the nineteenth century. A fun story about freedom, justice, provision, friendship, and alliances. One of the cleanest on my list.

The Chronicles of Narnia movies. I mean the newer ones, of course. :D If you haven't seen them yet, I highly recommend you watch them with your parents. They're not perfect, as adaptations rarely are, and yet they are, for lack of better word, enchanting. I first watched them while reading the books, and that made it special.

I've heard wonderful things about Hello Dolly, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, and Northanger Abbey. Though I haven't seen any.

Captain America: The First Avenger.
While it may not be as successful or famous as other Marvel films, this particular one is enjoyable for a multitude of reasons. It takes place during the Second World War, the main protagonist is a humble and loyal patriot, his friends loud, chaotic, and entertaining. You'll laugh as they bicker and make quips, and possibly cry as you see how war affects their lives. I can't say it's the most accurate historical movie yet, and it wasn't intended to be either, as there are elements of science fiction and comic villainy. I recommend it, nonetheless, and think since you love American history, you'd probably like it. :)
As for the content, yes, it could be cleaner, and is yet the cleanest Marvel film I can think of.

There were a few more I could have added, although these are generally the cleanest and funnest films I know of. If you would like, please message me and I'll happy to give you more recommendations. I hope you haven't seen all of these, but anyways, do enjoy. :D

Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

GJFH wrote:
Jo March wrote: Any suggestions for good movies that aren't chick-flicks or romances, for a very conservative family? (Yeah, tough sorry. My parents are pretty strict about what we watch... :/)

The Chronicles of Narnia movies. I mean the newer ones, of course. :D If you haven't seen them yet, I highly recommend you watch them with your parents. They're not perfect, as adaptations rarely are, and yet they are, for lack of better word, enchanting. I first watched them while reading the books, and that made it special.
Wait, there are two versions of these? Made by whom?
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Connie G. wrote:
Wait, there are two versions of these? Made by whom?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094500/ and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079474/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Come to think of it...I don't know if these...count? I remember seeing the television series, written by Alan Seymour, somewhere a while ago.Then I recently watched the animated one, written by Steven Melendez, on my bed one time because I was curious. It's on YouTube if you're interested. :)

Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

GJFH wrote:

Firstly, Holes, a Disney film based off a children's novel. It's about family and friendship and facing opposition. Yes, it focuses a bit on a 'family curse,' I warn you, though the sincerity of the acting and the calamity that occurs is indeed memorable. Fun and different adventure with an incredible soundtrack.

A forgotten one, Home on the Range, it might have more appeal for a younger audience, though is still a clever and gripping western musical comedy. This movie follows three plucky cows as they venture out into the west to win a fortune large enough to save their farm. Against the odds, they are able to escape a cattle thief, various mischievous villains, and endure a flood, all while growing close to one another. Absolutely silly, and absolutely worth watching.

Finding Neverland. A tale of the author of Peter Pan, and the family he fell in love with inspired his writing. A charming movie with bright enthusiastic and imaginative characters who you can't help but love.

Meet the Robinsons.One of my family's favourites, an obscure Disney animated film featuring a collection of wonderfully zany characters and silly occurrences. Also a story where adoption is openly talked about, and the quirks that set people apart are seen as strengths. Very clean.

Fly Away Home.
It's been a few years since I've seen it, actually, and you could look into it more, yet I distinctly remember enjoying it tremendously. It's about the relationship between a grieving teenage girl and her distant father. It's a raw one.

Hugo. Another story of an orphan. Hugo is a young and clever kid surviving alone in Paris until he is acquainted with a fascinating secret that involves his late father. Very clean.

The first Night at The Museum. Quite clean, even if it does include a few outrageously silly moments, arguably, there are things to be gained. The importance of preserving history and keeping the promises you make.

The Swiss Family Robinson A true classic where a family finds themselves shipwrecked on a lonely jungle island during the eighteen hundreds. An exciting film with pirates, dangerous weather, and vicious wildlife.

Big Hero 6, Definitely a clean one, incredibly sweet and moving, and yet, there were moments when I couldn't stop laughing.

Pete's Dragon, both the first, and the recent reproduction. They are exquisite, the cinematography stunning, and the stories, exciting and endearing simultaneously.

Newsies(1992) A musical drama about the plight of newsboys towards the end of the nineteenth century. A fun story about freedom, justice, provision, friendship, and alliances. One of the cleanest on my list.

I've heard wonderful things about Hello Dolly, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, and Northanger Abbey. Though I haven't seen any.

Captain America: The First Avenger.
While it may not be as successful or famous as other Marvel films, this particular one is enjoyable for a multitude of reasons. It takes place during the Second World War, the main protagonist is a humble and loyal patriot, his friends loud, chaotic, and entertaining. You'll laugh as they bicker and make quips, and possibly cry as you see how war affects their lives. I can't say it's the most accurate historical movie yet, and it wasn't intended to be either, as there are elements of science fiction and comic villainy. I recommend it, nonetheless, and think since you love American history, you'd probably like it. :)
As for the content, yes, it could be cleaner, and is yet the cleanest Marvel film I can think of.

There were a few more I could have added, although these are generally the cleanest and funnest films I know of. If you would like, please message me and I'll happy to give you more recommendations. I hope you haven't seen all of these, but anyways, do enjoy. :D
I LOVE The Swiss Family Robinson!!!! AND the Chronicles of Narnia!!!
You absolutely have to watch Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. It's a little cheesey(what old movie isn't), but one of my favs! Thanks so much for your suggestions. I will definitely check those out!

-- Wed May 24, 2017 1:56 pm --

#ConnieG: there are very old Narnias (like made in 1980's) and newer ones that were made in the early 2000's. I've only watched the newer ones, and they're pretty good..
Jo March
Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

I've seen the ones that came out in 2006, but I thought they might be a bit mature for your younger siblings (there's quite a bit of violence I recall correctly). I did like them, though.
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

I have no younger siblings :) It's just me. My parents are pretty strict about what I watch though...

Has anyone seen "Old-Fashioned" yet? It looked pretty good, but I'm not so sure that my dad would want to watch it... Thinking it might be a good movie for when he's on a business trip...
Jo March
Stella C.
Peach Cobbler

Finally got around to watching Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It was amazing, and I accidentally made my dad kinda like Harry Potter (and totally turned my little brothers into Potterheads, who both proceeded to binge-watch the entire series :P )
Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring. -Proverbs 27:1
Sam: Up on our mountain, where the muffins stink, the boys aren't, and we play music all day long.. xD
Stella: Sounds AWESOME!
Baron von Odyssey
Cookies & Creme

Saw the Boss Baby not long ago.

:(
Most disappointing movie night of my life
But, on a brighter note, I finally saw the '89 Batman film last week (you know, with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson) Not a movie I'd recommend for kids, but a true classic nonetheless.
"Greetings. Name's Baron Von Odyssey. My card."
(Card: [Baron von Odyssey - writer, book lover, fairytale enthusiast, and AIO fan])
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My posts are awesome! You wanna know why?
BECAUSE I'M BATMAN!!
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

Jo March wrote:Has anyone seen "Old-Fashioned" yet? It looked pretty good, but I'm not so sure that my dad would want to watch it... Thinking it might be a good movie for when he's on a business trip...
I would recommend not watching it.... I know you're conservative and will think it's a great idea, but but, I just... I just.... no. If it was satirical I would be fine with it, but it isn't and its.... Not a fan.
Jo March wrote:there are very old Narnias (like made in 1980's) and newer ones that were made in the early 2000's. I've only watched the newer ones, and they're pretty good..
They are called the BBC Narnia movies (LW&W, PC, VDT, and SC I believe). (or at least in my house =p) They aren't.... the best of course, but there are some good parts. The beavers in LW&W are absolutely hysterical. The Scarf Doctor from DW is Puddleglum and is pretty great too "I'm a reshpectabible marshawiggle" might be in the book, but the delivery is grand).

I saw La La Land and Moana a while ago. Not really a fan of the latter tbh.... How Far I'll Go Sounded like CCM so it was a bit of a turn off, especially since it's like... the only song. =p (or much repeated at least) I heard about the ending of La La Land and was a bit skeptical about the point they were trying to make, but I did really like how they did the ending though. The first song was a completely random and turned me off a bit, so I really wasn't able to get into it. I like the audition song though, and the rest of the songs are rather pretty and fun to play on the piano. =p
xo eht haiasi-