Movies

If it doesn't pertain to Adventures in Odyssey, you've stepped into the right place! Grab a chair, and talk about your favorite books, TV shows, join a debate, or just be random!
shnoodlec.
Fudge Marble

I saw it a few days ago! I liked it a lot! It had some weird editing moments though.
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. Q&A thread HERE. "SHNOOD IS THE OLDBIE NEWBIE AND SHE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS THAT TITLE" - Belle
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

Has anyone seen The Ultimate Life, the sequel to The Ultimate Gift?
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
“No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” P.T. Barnum
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Jo March wrote:Has anyone seen The Ultimate Life, the sequel to The Ultimate Gift?
Nope, what are both movies about?

I saw The Crimes of Grindelwald this morning, and though I'm still processing it, there were a few too many things to keep track of.
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

I saw the Grinch yesterday. It was actually really good! It's a family movie- obviously. But super cute and funny. The character development of the Grinch and Max and everyone was surprisingly detailed. I kinda wanna see it again...
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

Really? we've been thinking about seeing it and we thought The Grinch looked pretty good!
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
“No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” P.T. Barnum
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

I just watched Shazam. 2nd. Best. DC. Movie. Ever.
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:I just watched Shazam. 2nd. Best. DC. Movie. Ever.
*has debated seeing it just because Zachary Levi is hilarious*

What's the first best DC movie?
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Dark Knight, for obvious reasons.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:Dark Knight, for obvious reasons.
*slowly blinks*

Idk, I've never seen any Batman movie.

The only DC movie I've seen was Wonder Woman and I loved it.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

i have near concrete plans to see unplanned tomorrow! if y'all want it, i'll be sure to give the scoop.
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Belle wrote:
*slowly blinks*

The Dark Knight is widely considered to be one of the greatest super hero films because of it being more of a crime movie, and it being a perfect film with stellar performances by Heath Ledger and Christian Bale.
Mr. Clever
Cookies & Creme

Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:
Belle wrote:
*slowly blinks*

The Dark Knight is widely considered to be one of the greatest super hero films because of it being more of a crime movie, and it being a perfect film with stellar performances by Heath Ledger and Christian Bale.

I disagree. SharkBoy and LavaGirl will always...ALWAYS be the best superhero movie. :noway:
“We all change. When you think about it, we’re all different people, all through our lives. And that’s okay, that’s good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.” - Matt Smith
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

Ya'll seen Endgame yet?
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

Yep.
Also this avatar makes me mad b/c I'm a Sonic fan.
Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

GJFH wrote:i have near concrete plans to see unplanned tomorrow! if y'all want it, i'll be sure to give the scoop.
I want the scoop!
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Connie G. wrote:
GJFH wrote:i have near concrete plans to see unplanned tomorrow! if y'all want it, i'll be sure to give the scoop.
I want the scoop!
this is months late, sorry!
i liked it. the message was clear and easy to understand, there were really well written scenes. in parts, it didn't seem as if the director/screenwriter were sugar coating anything (they made some bold choices in what they allowed the audience to see). i am pro life so i knew coming into it that i already would have trouble viewing it objectively.
also, i mostly usually emotional arguments so this isn't going to be v bullet listed or structured. (i'll try not to let it get too muddled, apologies in advance)

firstly, it was produced in part by pureflix and i have a boatload of issues with that company in due to their iffy marketing, formulaic writing, and representation of faith (or the lack of it.) it wasn't edited v well, and some of the casting choices, uh, definitely were noticeable.
in a flashback scene they used the same thirty something year old actress to play nineteen year old Abby Johnson. i get that it had a seemingly low budget (6 mil) but even with makeup, it was v clear that the actress was far older in that scene than portrayed. in addition, my sisters and i both commented that the actress selected for the role of Abby's mom, Robin DeMarco, looked too young to be the mother of someone in their thirties. that alone was distracting.

the movie's antagonist was your fairly stereotypical anti-life, anti-family villain. not gonna lie, i wish they had written her differently. i do think planned parenthood has done awful things, and there are genuinely evil people involved (there's a location 30 minutes from my house) but not every individual in authority is as vile as they showed Cheryl. i get that they needed an antagonist, some personification of evil, but i've seen Christian movies do this more often than not. i'm a huge believer it's a deterrent to non-Christians and harms the way Christians go about sharing their faith. her character was almost cartoon.
there was that voice-over that's pretty common with Christian movies. i'm not anti voice- over, but i think it becomes a lazy tool when it's overused. i also recognize how this is going to sound, but it was primarily written by two men, i love men, although, they aren't fully able to understand what it's like to be a woman in Abby's situation enough to write about it. it's just as if a man was to write a book from a woman's perspective, or a woman was to write a book from a man's perspective. it's not impossible, but it's probably noticeable.

yet in the end, i could tell a lot of passion and research went into making the movie. there was factual evidence and solid points in deference to abortion which made for a compelling argument. i appreciated that they showed a difference in how people sometimes protest pp. also, they didn't shy away from a lot of up close encounters with abortion. i liked it. i'm glad it drew attention to the debate and the fact that even if you're in one camp, you can change. there's some elements of redemption there. there were some really strong scenes.
in a way, it also didn't gloss over the fact that woman choose to have abortions because of finances or current living situations. there's a few reasons why woman in the film go to Abby's pp center which demonstrates that abortion is sometimes seen as the only option. i liked that the closing message was about hope and opening up other opportunities and providing help!! abortion isn't the only way.

so there we go. i didn't hate it. but it definitely had its issues. if anyone else has seen unplanned, i'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

You're not late! I only asked two days ago lol so it's me :P I reckon I'll see it when it comes out on DVD, thanks!
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

That movie was an excellent comedy. When the villain physically backed Abby Johnson up against the railing and proceeded to give her the, "How could you, after all I've done for you- I made you!" villain speech I howled inside. And when she went on to say, "abortion is our fries and soda" I was inwardly laughing so hard I shook a bit.

It's really sad, honestly. This movie makes us look so bad. I mean right from the beginning when it says something about, "People ask me, were you really that ignorant? And the answer is... Yes." Oh great. Pro-choicers are ignorant. Is that a good way to win anybody over? My main takeaway from this film was a dramatically increased amount of empathy for pro-choicers. I can see how it can be hard to put up with us.

Oh well, what did we expect? Ladies and gentlemen, we now know what the writers of Gods Not Dead think of abortion. Frankly, I didn't ask.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Pound Foolish wrote:That movie was an excellent comedy. When the villain physically backed Abby Johnson up against the railing and proceeded to give her the, "How could you, after all I've done for you- I made you!" villain speech I howled inside. And when she went on to say, "abortion is our fries and soda" I was inwardly laughing so hard I shook a bit.

It's really sad, honestly. This movie makes us look so bad. I mean right from the beginning when it says something about, "People ask me, were you really that ignorant? And the answer is... Yes." Oh great. Pro-choicers are ignorant. Is that a good way to win anybody over? My main takeaway from this film was a dramatically increased amount of empathy for pro-choicers. I can see how it can be hard to put up with us.

Oh well, what did we expect? Ladies and gentlemen, we now know what the writers of Gods Not Dead think of abortion. Frankly, I didn't ask.
i totally respect this take. and i wouldn't disagree that this movie makes us look bad. just out of curiosity, are there any 'Christian' films or controversial films in general you like? i'm always trying to add to my list.

also! i just saw room for the first time and it's amazing. 10/10 recommend.

ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

Well, this topic has been quiet. :)

What has everyone been watching? I feel like I've seen several movies lately. Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Quantumania, and then Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse for the first time yesterday, since I might end up watching the new one.
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."